Seeing your family or your friends in bad condition. What’s your feeling? Sad, right?
And how to show your careness to them?
Ok, this time, I will share about sympathy expression. Hope this will help you. kkk~
Sympathy expressions is an expression or feeling of pity and sorrow when we know someone or people are unlucky or have trouble and in bad condition. By expressing sympathy, we want to show our concern or carefulness on other people’s condition.
II. How Can We Give Sympathy Expression to Someone?
We express it directly to him or her orally or we can use a letter or card by post also by Short Massage Service (SMS). And maybe you can use SMS or Social Networking (E-Mail, Facebook, Twitter, etc.) if he/she is getting trouble far away.
III. Expressing Condolences
When a person dies it is difficult to know what to say to the bereaved. It is important to acknowledge the loss in one form or another. Here are a few expressions you can use to express your care and concern in English when someone passes away.
- I am so sorry to hear about your loss.
- I was heartbroken by this sad news.
- I will never forget when he/she… (share a memory using the past tense verb)
- You were such a dedicated friend/mother/sister to ______________ (name).
- He/She will be sadly missed. (Add a detail that describes this person’s best quality. For example: He was the best listener. OR He was always there when I needed help with the kids.)
- I’m sorry, but I am at a loss for words. (If you can’t think of anything else to say or write.)
- If you need anything, please ask. (Then offer something specific, such as help with the kids or a home cooked meal or a coffee date.)
- When you are feeling up to it, let’s have coffee together.
- I’m here for you if you need anything.
- Thanks for taking the time to let me know about _________ (name of deceased). (Write or say if you received a special call or email notification about this news.).
IV. Expressing Sympathy Via Social Networks
It is okay to express your condolences in a comment if the announcement has been made in a status update or blog. Take a moment to send a private note as well.
- spelling of “peace” (not “piece”)
- capitalization of “God” (not “god”)
- spelling of “condolences”
- spelling of “prayers”
V. Expression of Sympathy
- How pity you are!
- You must be very upset.
- I’m sorry to hear that.
- Oh, what a shame.
- How terrible / awful for you.
- I’m awfully sorry about…
- Oh my god! Really? I’m so sorry.
- I’d like to express my deepest condolences.
- Oh, how awful!
- Oh, dear!
- It’s OK
- Thank You
- No, thanks. That’s very kind of you.
- Thanks for your goodness
VII. How To Write A Condolences Letter?
1) In some direct way, express your sorrow about the other person’s loss.
2) Mention by name the person who died
3) If a death, relate an anecdote about the person: a happy memory, some advice they gave you, successes for which they’ll be remembered, something they said or did that touched you, etc. be specific.
4) Offer condolences in the form of sympathy, thoughts, prayers, good wishes, etc
5) Depending your relationship with th deceased, local or religious custom, and family preference, you may want to send along with your sympathy note flowers, donations to a charity, or another type of appropriate memoral.
Then, close with an expression of sympathy or affection or with a wish for consolation.
Hongki : What’s wrong with you?
Minhwan : My cat has gone. It didn’t come back to my house.
Hongki : I’m so sorry to hear that. Maybe you should looking for your cat! I will help you.
Minhwan : Ok. Thank you.
Expression of Sympathy
Send My Heart to You ——❤